Business Improvement Areas
A Business Improvement Area is a geographical area that allows local business people and property owners to join together and, with the support of the municipality, organize, finance and carry out physical improvement and promote economic development in their district.
Who are we?
- We are shop owners, entrepreneurs and volunteers.
- We believe in creating unique and exceptional consumer experiences.
- We know that great businesses are an essential part of great neighbourhoods.
- We are purveyors of goods, providers of services and leaders of commerce.
- We create gathering spaces that feed and entertain.
- We decorate and beautify the places where you walk, shop, work and play.
- We have grit and passion for our city.
- We are Hamilton’s Business Improvement Areas.
One City. Spend it here.
Hamilton has a total of 13 BIAs across the City – browse through the listing to learn more about city’s unique BIAs:
- Ancaster BIA
- Barton Village BIA
- Concession Street BIA
- Downtown Dundas BIA
- Downtown Hamilton BIA
- International Village BIA
- King Street West BIA
- Locke Street BIA
- Main Street Esplanade BIA
- Ottawa Street BIA
- Stoney Creek BIA
- Waterdown BIA
- Westdale Village BIA
The Business Improvement Area has two-fold mandate:
- To improve, beautify and maintain public lands and buildings within the BIA, beyond that which is provided by the municipality at large and
- To promote the area as a business and shopping area.
Establishing a BIA creates benefits such as improved atmosphere and ambiance. The beneficiaries are not just local retail merchants, theatres, banks and professional offices, but include a variety of other benefits. Increased values for property owners, secure source of funding for upgrades, increased community interest, improved communication between business and municipal council, and cost savings through improved allocation of finding & promotional activities.
Urban Renewal Section
Economic Development Division
Planning and Economic Development Department
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext 2632