West Harbour has come a long way!
The West Harbour remains one of the City’s strategic priorities. It enhances the city by providing:
- clean sustainable parks, recreational spaces, trails and amenities
- opportunities for investment
With the development of Bayfront Park in the early 1990s, people were able to access the water’s edge for the first time. It would later extend east to Pier 4 Park and in 2000, the West Harbour Millennium Trail was established.
Today the City is looking to draw private-sector investment. Opportunities include mixed-use residential and commercial developments to increase the use of the area for both residents and businesses. Not many other Canadian cities offer this type of waterfront investment.
Hamilton’s waterfront lands are owned and controlled by the City of Hamilton. We are taking great strides to ensure the lands are available and development-ready for private-sector investment.
These investment opportunities include mixed-use residential and commercial developments. With these opportunities we hope to increase the use of the area for both residents and businesses.
Not many other Canadian cities offer this type of waterfront investment!
Current investment opportunities
- Pier 8
- City Council has given direction to prepare the lands on Pier 8 for sale to the private development industry. The opportunity allows private development investors to create a new mid-rise community with a mix of 1,200 to 1,600 residential units and 13,000 sq. m. of commercial and institutional space.
- Pier 8 is 30 acres in size and located just a kilometre away from Hamilton’s downtown core. Downtown Hamilton is home to 13,700 residents and 24,000 employees, currently has over 2,000 condominium units either under construction or soon to be under construction, and is seeing exponential growth in terms of gallery spaces, restaurants and cafes, and new creative industry businesses.
- The City is currently carrying out a strategy to pre-zone, subdivide, and service the land on Pier 8.
- Staff presented recommendations regarding the prospective sales process to the General Issues Committee of Council on November 2, 2016. The solicitation process is anticipated to begin in early 2017.
- The City’s vision and plans for Pier 8 provide more information about the opportunities private development investors will have opportunity to bid on. For direct questions or comments, contact one of our project team members.
The next five years will see great change along the waterfront.
West Harbour will turn into a vibrant, mixed-use, transit-supportive and pedestrian-friendly place. Our plans include:
- developing cultural, commercial and recreational uses
- providing a greater range of attractions year-round
- bringing economic opportunity through new construction, employment, tourism and cultural and commercial development
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext. 5304
Not sure who to contact?
Leave a voicemail at 905-546-2424 ext. 2085 or send an email to email@example.com.