Digital Main Street
The Digital Main Street Project seeks to help small, main street businesses across Ontario improve their adoption of technologies to better promote themselves online, sell online and even run back-office processes online.
For Hamilton businesses, the City of Hamilton – in partnership with the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce – will be assisting eligible businesses within the 13 Business Improvement Areas (BIAs).
Every business that wants to participate in the grant must first take an online assessment of their current technology use. Based on the assessment, the business will then develop a Digital Transformation Plan based on a template that will be provided which will detail their goals and what technologies they need to achieve those goals.
To help put the plan into action, the business can then apply for a one-time grant of $2,500 to help with the costs of adopting the required technology.
Who is eligible for the Digital Transformation Grant?
A Digital Transformation Grant is open to participants who meet the following requirements:
- Must be a main street business that:
- Pays commercial property tax (needs to be commercially assessed) – businesses working from a dedicated co-working space or an office within an existing business that can provide a rental or lease agreement will be considered. Home-based businesses are not eligible.
- Has 1-99 employees.
- Is within a BIA or located within a defined central business district or downtown by a municipality’s OP / ZBL.
- Must be registered and/or incorporated.
- Must be a for-profit business structure (not-for-profits and charities are not eligible).
- Owned by someone 18 years of age or older at the time of application.
- Owned by someone who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- Owned by an Ontario resident or operating a business in Ontario.
- Has completed the Digital Transformation Assessment.
- Has completed the Digital Transformation for Main Street training program.
- Has developed a Digital Transformation Plan.
For additional eligibility details, click here to review the Digital Transformation Grant FAQs
If you are interested in learning more about the Digital Main Street project and Digital Transformation Grant, connect with the Hamilton Small Business Centre or Hamilton Chamber of Commerce to set-up a meeting with their Digital Service Squad!
Each partner has squad members who are digital technology specialists available to deliver one-on-one assistance to small, main street businesses. The squads will provide assessments, consulting and advice to small, main street businesses on how they can adopt digital technologies to help them promote, sell and manage their businesses more effectively.
This service is provided FREE of charge to all participating businesses.
Additionally, we will be hosting two FREE Information Sessions for interested businesses to learn more about the Digital Main Street Project:
- Digital Main Street – Hamilton Information Session #1
Monday, April 15, 2019 from 12:00 PM to 1:30 PM
- Digital Main Street – Hamilton Information Session #2
Wednesday, April 24, 2019 from 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM
For businesses in the following BIAs, please connect with the Hamilton Small Business Centre Coodinator at email@example.com
- Ancaster BIA
- Barton Village BIA
- Concession Street BIA
- Downtown Dundas BIA
- Locke Street BIA
- Waterdown BIA
- Stoney Creek BIA
For businesses in the following BIAs, please connect with the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce Coodinator at
- Downtown Hamilton BIA
- International Village BIA
- King Street West BIA
- Ottawa Street BIA
- Westdale BIA
- Main Street Esplanade
Unsure what BIA your business resides in, visit
www.investinhamilton.ca/downtown-bia/business-improvement-areas to find out now. OR, you are encouraged to connect with the City of Hamilton at firstname.lastname@example.org for further guidance.
The Digital Main Street Program is funded by the Province of Ontario in partnership with the Ontario BIA Association. For more program details and to apply, please visit https://digitalmainstreet.ca
Does your business offer digital technology services such as web site design and development, digital marketing, digital hardware or software, social media management, e-commerce, or digital training?
Complete your profile today to become a trusted and verified digital provider.
Visit https://digitalmainstreet.ca and click Sign Up. Then, click on Sign Up under Digital Vendors.